Friday, March 22, 2013

35

I remember it like it was yesterday.  Today is the 35th anniversary of the day I received my drivers license.

How did I celebrate?  My friend and I got our baseball gloves, and we played "catch" in my back yard on a warm spring afternoon..

It took me a month to get behind the wheel again.  My first "alone" trip was to Penn State's library in Dunmore because I wanted to work on a project in a real academic setting-- unlike what I had in high school at the time.

My confidence level wasn't the highest.  I thought the test course was too easy and it wasn't a true way to challenge my driving abilities.  My instructor thought I was good, and I should have been happy with that.  On the way home, he gave me a talk about responsibility behind the wheel, and I've never forgotten that.    I was lucky.  From a drive to the mall yesterday, it appears very few people got the "responsibility" talk on license day.