Monday, April 1, 2013

About the Cover

I hope today's blog and this month's header accomplish two different goals.

I usually do something "churchy" for the Easter blog entry.  I went in another direction yesterday-- baseball.

We do have a new pope, and as I said in this space before, even if you don't buy into what the church is all about, you can still be fascinated by the process.

Pope Francis is getting good reviews in his first weeks.  He appears to be a humble man.  Proof of that was the name he chose-- Francis, patron saint of the poor and animals.  How can you go wrong with that?

This month's header shows the St. Francis statue outside the St. Francis of Assisi kitchen in downtown Scranton-- a place that feeds thousands in need every month.  It's quite an operation.

As for the header photography, The statue isn't in in the greatest setting, so I tried to fuzz the city/industrial background.  It's okay, but I should have been fuzzier.


The rest goes like this, and I'll paraphrase Humbert Humphrey here.  He felt a society will be judged by its willingness to aid those who need help the most.  I can't speak for the rest of the area, but I think we do okay in the Scranton area.  It could be better.

We in the news business do the stories all the time, especially around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.  There are a lot of people hurting.  We have organizations like the Church, Salvation Army, Friends of the Poor and several others who do what they can.  There are countless volunteers who work at it, and even more who make donations.

Belatedly, count your blessings, and Happy Easter!