Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Flower Power

All in all, it wasn't a bad holiday.

Easter is one of my favorite days of the year.  As a kid, it meant new clothes, chocolate, eggs, baseball season, springtime...  The memories are responsible for me looking forward to Easter every year.

There is one Easter related task that troubles me.  On Holy Thursday, I set out in search of Easter flowers.

Amazingly, my pre-dawn visit to a big box store was extremely productive.  I found a lily and a hyacinth plant that were a couple days away from blooming, and they went into my cart. 

Unfortunately, the store's tulips were pretty beat up, so I passed.

There's an art to buying Easter flowers.  You have to pick the plants that look like they will be in full flower on Easter morning.  Timing is everything,  There were many years I blew it, and picked plants that bloomed nicely-- a couple days after Easter.

I jumped back in the car Thursday afternoon and stopped by one of those parking lot flower tents.  I like tulips.  I really wanted tulips.  Luck and the bunny smiled on me because the flower tent's tulips were in fantastic shape, with a variety of colors.  I chose red, and also grabbed a pot of baby daffodils. 

It will be tough to repeat this year's performance.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter.