Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Good Intentions

It is often said the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

This is my story.

The spring edition of Blogfest was held Friday night at a bar in Pittston.  Blogfest is a twice yearly event, where bloggers and politicians get together to talk about the craft and just have a nice time.

I've blown off several prior Blogfests, but this one was different.  It actually happened on a weekend when I didn't have to work.

I took a long afternoon nap to get ready.  Blogfest began at 6 PM, which is far past my bedtime-- even on non work nights.  Once I get in to a pattern, it's hard to get me out.

Mother Nature threw a fly into the ointment, and a monkey wrench into my plans.  There was a Friday evening tornado watch for most of the area.  The sky looked threatening. There was a big line of red, indicating severs storms, on WNEP's radar.

I didn't want to die in a Pittston bar, and I wanted to be at home to keep an eye on the place and clean up storm damage.

The red line came-- a little gust of wind, and a short spurt of heavy rain.  That's it.  By the storm got to me, it fizzled.  While I was happy about that, waiting for the worst occupied a big part of my Friday night.

I gave a tentative RSVP to one of the organizers, and I apologize for being a no show.  As Dorothy Gale said when a tornado swept her off to Oz, "there's no place like home."