Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Do No Harm

I respect doctors.

I don't respect the business.

Let me tell you about the last few years.

I had a doctor I liked a lot.  Unfortunately, he had some medical problems and closed his practice a few years ago.  The medical group gave me two days notice. I wrote a letter, noting the short notice.  There was no response.

I found a guy I liked in the next town over, and I've been with him for the past few years.  A letter arrived the other day.  He was affiliating with a big, big, big hospital group-- one that doesn't take my insurance.  Luckily, I received three weeks notice there.

After consulting my insurance company's web site, and talking with a gym friend, I settled on a woman near by.  I called to see if she was accepting new patients.  Yes, new patients.  No, no additional ones with my insurance.  A complaint was filed with my insurance company.

Okay, next on the list.  I found a doctor that was accepting new patients, and one who took my insurance.  His secretary told me they would send me an application, and I was to send it back.  I would receive the okay, pending the application.  Hello!?!  I had to fill out an application to give you my business?  Sorry.  I'm doing you the favor by giving you my money.  It's not the other way around.  I passed.

I succeeded in finding a doctor, new to a practice, who was accepting new patients, and with my insurance.  I have an appointment in a couple weeks.  I'll let you know how it goes.