Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Ear Hears

The federal government's spying program seems to be THE big story in the news lately...

I can't say I like it, but the U.S. government has been spying on its own citizens for years.  FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover is said to have accumulated massive files on the famous and not so famous over the years.

The same thing is still happening, but it's done electronically now.  Cell phone calls, land lines, e-mails...  it's all subject to somne looking in or listening in.

I just hope the right people are doing it for the right reasons, and they're targeting the right people.  Something tells me that, with the government's stellar track record, things aren't going the way they were intended.  Abuse?  Likely.  I really don't like it when laws are broken in the name of national security.

At times like this, I am reminded of what Benjamin Franklin said:  "Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."