Thursday, July 18, 2013

Are You Kidding Me?

Sunday, NBC's Al Roker gave a speech at a meeting of the School Nutrition Association.  As the name implies, it's an organization pushing for healthy food in schools.

The very next day, Roker rode a Twinkie truck through Manhattan, tossing the sugary, fatty treats to children and adults along the way.

What's wrong with this picture?

First, the ratings are still sagging on "Today" and NBC will do anything to draw a crowd.

Second, Roker has no shame.

Look, I have nothing wrong with Twinkies.  I subscribe to the Julia Child theory of "everything in moderation."  Child discovered butter and cream long before Paula Deen.  Fortunately, Julia, unlike Deen, didn't make butter one of the basic food groups.  One Twinkie isn't going to do a lot of damage.  I've had a craving since Twinkies were reintroduced this week, and I might buy a box one of these days.

However, it's the hypocrisy of Roker's silly, tired, overpaid act that raises my ire.