Friday, July 5, 2013

The Surreal Life



Television news is a strange way to make a living, and you can pretty much figure that out on your own.

Let me take you back to an early morning, long before sunrise, two weeks ago.  There was a newsroom conversation between assignment editor Amy, producer Lindsey, and I.  Two young women and a middle aged man.  Our topic was make up application and removal techniques, plus our favorite products.

It was one of those discussions that, hours after it was over, it felt strange.

Yes, men on television wear make up.  Now that we're high definition, it's more important than ever.  Even after all these years, I've never been totally comfortable with it, but when you take the gig, you have to know that it comes along with the territory.  Some of us are better at it than others, and I'm always open to advice and suggestions from others on the staff.

I'm lucky that there is always help around when I need it.