Monday, August 26, 2013

Random

I wonder how they feel now.

During the recent spell of shootings, Wilkes-Barre's mayor and Luzerne County's district attorney were fond of saying the shootings were "not random acts."  Translation:  the crime was bad guy vs bad guy and the rest of us law abiding citizens need not worry.

I used this space in the past to express my dismay.  The "not a random act" thing didn't do anything to make me feel better about crime in the area.  It didn't make me feel safe.  In a way, it made me angry, because if that's the best the elected types could come up with, we're all in big trouble.

Two children got shot in Wilkes-Barre Saturday afternoon.  It looks like the kids were caught in the crossfire between a couple of bad guys.  The fight was not a random act, but you see Mr. Mayor and Ms. District Attorney, people can get hurt in random acts.  Children.  Innocent children, who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What's your excuse now?