Monday, September 9, 2013

I Feel Better Already


I'm a flu shot fanatic. I'm guessing I've been getting poked for more than twenty years. Yes, the shot is not perfect. There has been a time or two when I've gotten the flu, but it wasn't severe and it passed quickly.

September entered last week, and it was time.

Remember my adventures in medicine a month or two ago?  My beloved and trusted doctor closed his practice a few years ago. I found another guy I could live with. He decided to affiliate with another group, a group that doesn't take our insurance. I found someone who did, and took an instant dislike to her. The practice was sloppy. The office was a mess. The staff was inattentive. There was a shocking lack of privacy and professionalism.  I sent a letter saying I was never going back. By the way, there was no apology for the poor treatment.

So, that left me at the start of flu season, without a doctor to give me a shot. There are alternatives-- the drug store. One big chain makes it easy. You schedule an appointment and do most of the paperwork on line. You walk in, get stuck, and you're out in ten minutes. Yay!

So, where does that leave my doctor search? I'm a little uncomfortable not having a personal doctor. Friends and co workers have made recommendations. It's not that easy. As you likely heard by now, WNEP is changing hands, and there will be a new insurance plan at the beginning of the year. I want to see the doctors on the list of the new insurance company before making any decisions. There are walk-in clinics if an emergency arises.

And I close by saying this: I'm thankful I have health care insurance. There are a lot of people out there who would be very happy to be in my shoes and I recognize that every day.