Friday, October 18, 2013

Here's Johnny

I've started reading Henry Bushkin's book on Johnny Carson.  Bushkin was Carson's attorney and confidante for about twenty years, so he knows all.

I like what I've seen so far.  It's an insider's look at a very private and complex man.

I've always said the great ones make it look easy.  Johnny Carson is a perfect example.  All wasn't as it appeared.  Bushkin notes that Carson was at ease in front of 20 million people, but uncomfortable in front of 20.  He was not a happy man, and the book details many of his personal problems.

Much of it isn't easy to read.  After all, this is the likable and funny guy who came into your home every night.  You hate to read about his flaws-- and there were some big ones.  Even though the book has its uncomfortable pages, it's all fascinating.

I feel sorry for those younger than I.  Their memories of NBC's "Tonight" show consist of Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.  They missed a giant.

I'll offer a few more thoughts here when I turn the last page.