Monday, October 21, 2013

Just Right

I am the Goldilocks of consumers.  A sales person has to handle me "just right" or he's not going to get my business.

I realize selling is a difficult job.  Thanks to the internet, consumers are more educated than ever, and I'm one of the people who knows what he wants when he hits the showroom or store.

First case in point, last fall:  I was shopping for a new car, and I settled on a model I liked.  The numbers were tolerable, and I was ready to pull the trigger.  Unfortunately, the salesman rubbed me the wrong way.  He nonchalanted his way through the deal, thinking he had me in the bag.

Guess again.

I'm the one doing you the favor, not the other way around.

Second case in point, last week:  I was looking at cell phones.  It was down to two models.  The salesperson was really pushing the model that was in stock, not the one on back order.  I could have gone either way, and in fact, I was leaning toward the model that was in the shop.

This guy swung the pendulum in the other direction.  He was really too eager to make the sale.  The "hard sell" really sends up the red flag in my book.

I can live with my old phone and my old car a while longer.

One of these days, I'll find sales people who are interested, but not pushy.