Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Not Fair

I was at a vet's office, picking up some medication yesterday morning, when a man was bringing in a big, old, black dog.  Most of it was under a blanket.  I couldn't tell if the dog was male or female.  The breed looked to be border collie or something similar.  The dog appeared to be in great distress.  The owner was very upset.  I hope I was wrong, but I got the feeling that only one of them was going home.

It was clear that dog had a good home for a long time.  Even though it appeared the border collie story didn't end well, I was happy someone cared.

I've said it here before, but crimes against the defenseless bother me most.  Kids, elderly, animals.

Today's entry is clearly about animals.

We've seen a lot of disgusting things in this area-- hoarders, pierced kittens, puppy mills, violators of court orders, abuse, neglect...  It's a long list, and getting longer.

A friend who worked in the animal welfare business once told me a big part of the problem is some people view animals as disposable.

Animal abuse penalties in this state are a little more than a slap on the wrist.

Maybe people would wise up if animal abuse was more than a misdemeanor.