Sunday, June 8, 2014

Andy's Angles: Pomeroy's

This is one of my favorite buildings in downtown Wilkes-Barre.  Pomeroy's department store used to be here.  Now, it's offices.  I love the stone and all the different window styles.

I guess it was a sign of the times, but do you remember the hideous facade Pomeroy's once had on the front of the building?  What were they thinking?  I assume it was easier, faster, and cheaper to cover up than fix up.

I was always struck by the unevenness of the floors during my visits.  It was an odd way to shop.  You were always going up or down a slope.

Pomeroy's closed during my 80's radio days.  I remembering interviewing Boscov's manager about being the only department store left downtown.  He was disappointed.  The reason?  Anything that brings people downtown, even if it's competition, helps in the long run.

Boscov's is still a block away, and the owner announced plans to renovate the last big store left downtown.