Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer

I dread summer weekends.  If you sleep all day and work all night, as I do, the weekends are far too hot, too bright, and too noisy.

The biggest reason, however, is the danger.  It's tough in the news business.  Summer weekends are prime time for drownings, fireworks accidents, and my biggest fear of all-- crashes.

We had a few this past weekend-- crashes involving young people.  One was just a few minutes after a high school graduation in Monroe County.  Any time you hear a crash, and multiple victims in just one or two vehicles, your stomach sinks.  Especially late at night and early in the morning.  It usually involves young people, and it's always bad.

I can understand it.  Even though I went home to watch a baseball game after high school graduation, and home to take a nap because I had to work at midnight after college graduation, I can remember having that young person's feeling of invincibility.  You can lecture all you want.  You can't get rid of it.  You can only help to control it.

Make my life easier, and make your life longer.  Please, be careful.