Friday, July 4, 2014

Tradition

Independence Day is like every other holiday-- full of tradition.

For many years, if it fell on one of my days off, I'd grab a big soda, grab a spot in the Wyoming Valley Mall parking lot, and watch the Kirby Park fireworks from a distance.  You got a good look at the show, without all the traffic.  If you timed it right, you could also look off to the right and see the Pocono Downs fireworks.  I'm a morning person now, so anything after dusk is pretty much out of the picture.  Independence Day is a "work night" this year, anyway.

Tradition then moves to earlier in the day, with burgers and dogs on the grill.  Interesting reading the other day-- one of the fastest growing burger toppings these days is olives.  I don't dislike olives.  I always get them on my Subway turkey and swiss.  I don't object to them in a salad, green or black.  On a burger?  Sorry.  I'm not there yet.  I'm a standards guy-- any combination of ketchup, lettuce, tomato, and onion.  Occasionally, barbecue sauce or steak sauce, which really isn't that different from ketchup.

No matter how you choose to celebrate today, tonight, and this weekend, please be safe.  Leave the fireworks to the experts.  Don't speed, swim without a buddy, boat without a PFD, over do the alcohol, etc.

As I always say, remember what the day is all about, and I'll see you on TV tomorrow morning.