Friday, November 28, 2014

Ugh!

I have a short list of "least favorite" days of the year, and Black Friday occupies a prominent spot on that list.

It's a day of stress, noise, crowds, mayhem and excess.

I know a lot of people have to shop on Black Friday to save money and stretch a holiday budget.  I get that.

I don't get the opening early, staying open late frenzy that now stretches into Thanksgiving afternoon and evening.

If you want to work, fine.  If you want to shop, fine.  Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, and I know some people who see Black Friday shopping as family time, an adventure-- like Disney World.

If you're working in retail today, best of luck.  These days, when you take a job in the industry, you have to realize working on once sacred holidays is now part of the package.  My email in box is filled with complaints from retail industry employees.  My heart goes out to you, but there are no longer retail holidays.

Below, a shot of the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City, taken Thanksgiving morning, before the frenzy.

And below, a very quiet Lackawanna Avenue in downtown Scranton.  It's another Thanksgiving morning shot.

If you're going to be out today, be careful, be calm, spend wisely, and be patient.  Good luck.  I'll be watching from the sidelines.