Tuesday, June 9, 2015

First Person: Monday, Monday

Let me tell you about my Monday.

My assignment was to go to an elementary school and learn more about the death of a kindergarten student over the weekend.  It was so sad.  The child was killed in a crash.  She wasn't properly belted.  At this point, we don't know if it was negligence or if the little girl moved the belt herself.

The superintendent of schools wasn't happy to see us.  I can't say I was surprised.

I don't relish stories like this, but we need to show this child was a young girl, more than a statistic.  It was interesting to see how the school, parents and friends were handling this.  There are lessons to be learned.

We talked with one of the child's friends, with permission from his mother.  The principal was exceptionally kind and professional.  We respected her boundaries.

We moved our truck out of the parking lot when we were asked to leave.

I have a feeling the superintendent was painting our crew with the same broad brush-- uncaring, unfeeling media jackals.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Our story had the facts, plus the emotions.  It was fair.  It was sensitive,  and my heart goes out to the family.

The other big Monday story didn't involve me, but it's fascinating nonetheless.  Governor Wolf withdrew the nomination of his State Police Commissioner nominee, Marcus Brown.  Brown caught some flack for wearing the PSP uniform, even though he did not graduate from the academy.  I had a feeling the governor knew the nomination would go down in flames in the general assembly, so he wanted to avoid the embarrassment.

The state needs a new budget by the end of the month, and Wolf appears to be saving his ammunition for that.  He doesn't need a PSP problem.

I read where there's a chance Brown could be renominated.  It appears Wolf is going in another direction, but some believe Wolf was just trying to buy more time.  Brown remains in charge until the governor figures out a plan.

Despite the withdraws, the senate voted on Brown anyway.  He lost.

The names change in Harrisburg, but the song remains the same.