Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Time Warp



It's been established that Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" is one of my all time favorite songs.

Dave Ramsey's syndicated radio show uses it as its theme.

I've always been against using pop songs for commercials and themes. It was a no no in the radio biz back in the day. There were a lot of reasons, including people expecting and wanting to hear the full song. Well, times have changed. Hit songs are frequently used as transitions coming in and out of commercial breaks.

Then, I did some math.

"Baker Street" was a hit in 1978. It would have been the equivalent of using a late 1930's tune back when "Baker Street" was at the top of the charts.  No one, not even a geezer like me, would have objected.

Above is a version of "Baker Street" with the vocals cut out. Strangely enough, I read where the saxophone player thought he was a bit flat. Are you kidding me?   It was perfect, and the tune has been going through my head for days.

If that isn't enough, listen to the beat behind the sax-- the prefect compliment.

Do yourself a favor. Find the original. Get a good set of headphones and prepare to be delighted and amazed.