Thursday, September 1, 2016

4

It happened four years ago, on the Thursday before Labor Day.  I bought a bicycle.

I've told the story here before.  I'll give you the short version.  A kitchen remodeling project meant a lot of fast food and take out.  I needed to get some exercise.  A bike had been on my radar for years, and I finally took the plunge.

After looking in a lot of places, most with lousy customer service, I settled on a small shop in south Scranton.  I told the salesman I just wanted something to ride around town, nothing hard core.  He wheeled out a model.  Sold.

I stopped for a sandwich and fries on the way home.  Mistake.

I took the bike out of my SUV as soon as I got home.  I attempted to pedal around the neighborhood.  I didn't realize how out of shape I was.  It was a broiling hot and humid day.  I stuck my head in the toilet when I got home and lost my flame broiled sandwich.

Working up to a nice route was a gradual process.  There's now a ten mile circuit, going through three times, that I pedal once or twice a week, as long as its above 50 degrees.

It's one of the best purchases I ever made, and if you're considering getting in to bicycling, go for it.

After the initial purchase, and some occasional maintenance, it's a low cost activity.  I do recommend a light if you're riding in the dark, and a reflective vest, too.  A pair of padded cycling shorts is also worth the investment.

It's been a great four years.

I do have to take note of something that happened Sunday morning in West Scranton.  A man was riding his bike, out of the lane of traffic, minding his own business.  Some say he was actually on the sidewalk.  He got slammed by a big SUV.  Police say the driver was full of heroin, cocaine, and weed.  The impaired driver left the scene, but he was found the next day. 

This never should have happened.