Monday, September 26, 2016

Last Monday in September


It was September 23rd, 1991... the last Monday of the month. It was my first day as a full time television reporter.

I had been part time, down the street, for a year and a half prior, so I knew my way around the operation. Still, there was a lot to learn. The learning continues. That's the big thing about broadcasting and journalism. The basics are constant, but there is always a new situation, and of course, the ever evolving technology.

There was a little vacation time between the end of radio and the beginning of full time TV.  I worked a scattering of days in there, but there was still an opportunity to get out of town for a few days.

I remember the days leading to the jump.  I debated the move for quite a while, and I still wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

The full time newbie was dispatched to the Bloomsburg Fair on that first day. Photographer John, who moved to WNEP with me several years ago, and I did two stories and we headed back to the office. I don't remember what else was happening that day, but we weren't "live." I didn't complain. It was a nice way to get my feet wet.

The big adjustment was having some free time. Full time on the radio, plus part time on television meant I worked every day of the week for a year and a half. Of course, there was some vacation time, so I did get a break once in a while. Moving to only one job meant weekends off. I didn't know what to do with myself. The adjustment didn't take long. A little mall on Saturday mornings, a little wandering on Saturday night. Newspapers and a big jug of iced tea took up Sunday mornings.

Things eventually changed. Again, no complaints.

It's been a great ride.