Monday, October 31, 2016

Monday Scrapple

A while back, I noted the power of suggestion, especially when it comes to food.  I didn't crave an overnight doughnut-- until I wrote that most Dunkin' Donuts shops are now closed in the early morning hours.  However, there is a fantastic substitute.  Sheetz makes a chocolate iced, peanut butter filled delight that is as good, if not better, than anything out there.

Those in "the business" look at election nights a little differently than most.  Yes, I'll watch for the numbers next week.  I'll also be looking at sets and graphics.  FOX News Channel is scheduled to debut a whiz bang set.  I saw some photos.  It's spectacular.

Having said all that, it all comes down to the people.  While I was on vacation, I actually watched a few hours of ABC's 1996 election night coverage.  It was a first look for me.  In 1996, I was in Clarks Summit, covering Joe McDade's last run for congress.  ABC's set was nice.  Graphics were average.  What set ABC apart was the outstanding cast it has assembled-- Peter Jennings, David Brinkley, Sam Donaldson, Cokie Roberts, George Will, James Carville, Lynn Sherr, Hal Bruno, Jeff Greenfield...  And that was just the studio.  Brit Hume covered Clinton in Little Rock.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Painting airplane icons on the Avoca roundabout lanes leading to the airport is a great idea, but isn't it sad that the interchange is so mind numbingly designed that we need the icons in the first place.

A recent Johnny Carson show on WNEP2 featured George Carlin and Richard Pryor.  Wow!  Great television.

Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez had alcohol and cocaine in his system at the time of his fatal boat crash.  I can't get the picture of his pregnant girlfriend out of my mind.

Massachusetts has gone to a cash-less turnpike toll system.  Amazing technology.  Driver-less vehicles still concern me.

It still disgusts me that Major League Baseball can't help the Athletics get in to a new stadium somewhere.

I heard a network radio newscaster do a piece on a "violent explosion" the other day.  Is there any other kind of explosion?  And, if a non violent explosion existed, would we cover it?

I like Tom Hanks, but doesn't it seem like he's making the same movies over and over again?

Why do people get so upset over ties in the NFL?  They're rare and it's not a big deal.

Happy Halloween!  I can't believe how much the season has taken off.  Houses decorated, adult parties, etc.  It all seems a bit much.  It's a day for the kids.