Thursday, October 27, 2016

Sports Scrapple

I don't think I have ever cared less about a World Series.  I don't like the teams, and I haven't bought in to that "Wouldn't it be great if the Cubs finally win a World Series?" mania.

NFL ratings are still down, and the experts are still scratching their heads.  I don't think it's any one factor.  Culprits include injured and out of action stars, bad games, over saturation, distraction by politics, national anthem protests...

NBC's Al Michaels has done it again.  In an HBO interview, he peed all over Thursday Night Football.  Michaels will call the second half of the package this season.  His candor was refreshing, but on the other hand, calling football games is a sweet gig.  It's made him a millionaire, many times over.  Perhaps being a millionaire has given Michaels the cushion to speak his mind.  Just call the games, cash the check, and shut up.

Dan Patrick interviewed the retired and 88 year old Keith Jackson on the radio the other day.  The man was the voice of autumn Saturday afternoons for decades, and it was good to hear him again.

I still cringe when I see Pete Rose on the FOX Sports baseball pre and post game shows.

The Giants played the Rams in London Sunday morning.  Why?

I haven't seen much of the FOX, ESPN, and CBS NFL pre game shows this season, and I don't feel as if I've missed anything.

The MLB Network and NFL Network late night wrap up shows are really very good, MLB Network especially.

ESPN has extended the contracts of Pardon the Interruption hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon.  PTI is the most entertaining studio show on the network.

DON Imus is on a lot of all sports stations.  His contract has been extended by his syndicator.   I looked at the Imus network station line up.  It's mostly struggling low powered AM stations.  WABC is a technical powerhouse, but it has no ratings.  I've often said, picking up Imus is proof a program director is out of ideas.  This has nothing to do with age.  Imus is 76.  Unfortunately, he hasn't been funny or interesting in years.

Bob Raissman in the New York Daily News had a great idea Sunday.  The Baseball Hall of Fame should honor directors as well as announcers.  Directors can make or break a broadcast, and it's time they get some recognition.