Monday, December 5, 2016

The Big Bite

My alma mater, Marywood, recently announced a series of program cuts, shifts,  layoffs, and adjustments.  We all knew it was coming.  An asset study was started about a year ago.  I attended a question and answer session with the incoming president back in the spring.  She warned of some difficult times ahead.

My only surprise was the cuts weren't deeper.

I've seen and read a lot about the restructuring.  I'm wondering about the size of Marywood's financial issues.  As a former boss was fond of saying, "We're not asking the right questions."

Just follow the money.  Transparency was never one of Marywood's strong points, but even a sleepy school on a hill, run by the sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, is a business.

There's a saying in the business world:  "If it don't pay, it don't stay."

I've seen it happen many, many, many times.  Colleges are not immune, and it's clear Marywood made several missteps over the years.  As I've said here before, if the university wants some suggestions on where to find the dead wood, give me a call.

Jim Delligati died last week.  98.  He invented the Big Mac for McDonalds.  His creation paid.  Over and over again.

It's funny.  I was out very early Black Friday morning.  I wasn't shopping.  The car needed gas, and I felt like grabbing an out of town newspaper at 3 AM.  There was a refrigerator full of Thanksgiving food at home, but I wasnh't in the mood for unwrapping and reheating, so I stopped in to an all night McDonalds.  This was a store where you could go inside during the overnight shift.  You weren't limited to the drive-thru.  My choice was a Big Mac and fries.  Because it was close to breakfast switch over time, my sandwich and fries were made to order.  I dined inside, rather than in my car.

The Big Mac was hot and fresh, but McDonald's seems to have lost its way with this one.  Under beefed.  Over sauced.  Perhaps it should be renamed Big Bun.

For some odd reason, the staff didn't salt my fries, and that's a good thing.  I think they over salt.  I was given a few packets, without asking, and it really made a difference.

Big Mac remains one of America's signature sandwiches.  It's a classic.  It can be done better.