Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Award Winning

I'm not big on entertainment industry news, but I keep an eye on it because of what I do for a living.  I really have to know a little bit about a lot of different things.

The last time I visited a theater, it was to see the first "Ted" and I think that was almost five years ago.

Okay, foundation established.

The Golden Globes were handed out Sunday night.  I doubt most people can name an award winner, but they do know Meryl Streep and some others went off on president-elect Donald Trump, and Trump responded via Twitter.

This has nothing to do with any past, present, or future occupant of the White House, but I wish entertainers would stay out of politics.  We watch TV, and go to movies, to escape for a little while.  Award shows should celebrate the best of the industry, note the accomplishments of legends and new stars.   Glitz.  Glamour.  Gowns.  Tuxedos.  Fun.   Leave the real world out of it.

I've never voted for or against any candidate because a movie or TV star told me to, and I suspect you're the same way.

We are a divided country.  I have a NewsFlash for you.  It's always been that way, and it will always be that way.  Red states.  Blue states.  Liberal.  Conservative.  Republican.  Democrat.  When an entertainer starts spewing political views, half the potential audience is instantly alienated.  That's simply bad business.

I hate to keep going back to Johnny Carson, but I will do so again.  His old shows run nightly on Antenna TV, seen in this area on WNEP2.  Carson was an equal opportunity offender-- Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, and Clinton.  He joked about them all, and he did it with clever quips and a smile on his face.  Stephen Colbert should spend less time being nasty and more time studying the master.  Maybe his mediocre ratings would turn around.  It's just not fun to watch the same thing night after night.

There is a separation between church and state.  While I support the rights of everyone in this country to speak out, including entertainers, a voluntary and friendly separation between politics and entertainment doesn't seem like a bad idea at times.