Friday, January 27, 2017

Media Notes

ESPN has cancelled "The Sports Reporters" after 30 years.  In a way, it makes me sad.  On the other hand, I can do without hearing Lupica and Ryan.  They are gifted writers.  The charm didn't translate to TV.

Hearing WCBS, WINS, and KYW cover this week's nor'easter was a thing of beauty.

77 year old Brent Musberger retires at the end of the month.  I think he was the best studio host ever, and he added excitement to a broadcast when he was dong play by play.  He made weak color analysts good and good ones great.  College football survived Keith Jackson's retirement and the same will happen after Musberger exits.  Verne Lundquist recently left college football on CBS.  Two legends depart in the same season, and I don't think there's anyone nearly as good out there.

More irritating than The Weather Channel naming winter storms is hearing elected officials use those names.

Even though I'm old school, with some new school skills, the power of Twitter and Facebook continually amaze me.

I thought there was way too much filler during last week's inauguration coverage, but that's the nature of the beast.  There are huge stretches of time when nothing is happening, or what is happening is closed to cameras.

I wonder if the President Trump/news media rift can be healed.  The lack of respect, on both sides, is occasionally alarming.

I worry that there is a new generation of "reporters" who are comfortable tossing in opinion to their primary work.  By the way, yes, there is opinion here.  It's kept out of my job that puts food on the table.

The new head of the Federal Communications Commission is said to be a big fan of deregulation.  It doesn't necessarily mean bad things for consumers and those in the communications industry, but if the past is any judge, there could be some dangerous days ahead.

Jimmy Kimmel could mane the Academy Awards broadcast watchable again.

I'm actually looking forward to a few days of Super Bowl hype next week.  I usually tire of it by the time Thursday rolls around.

CBS has ordered a pilot for a drama on modern journalism called "The Get."  It will never happen, but HBO should bring back "The Newsroom."

Jay Mohr has left the FOX Sports Radio 3 to 6 PM slot.  I was a frequent listener.  It was a different kind of sports show.  Mohr was outspoken, but the humor, at times, was over the top.  No permanent replacement yet.