Wednesday, February 22, 2017

DIRW: Razor's Edge

Like most American males, I hate shaving.  One of my happiest moments is when I put down the razor after shaving Tuesday mornings because I know I won't have to touch it until Friday night.  I rarely shave on my days off.

I've tried just about every razor brand, plus pre shaves and after shaves.  Everything is OK.  Nothing great.

I tried Harry's razor's a few years ago.  The company started another advertising push, so I decided to try it again.

Let me back up for a moment.  Harry's is a discount razor company.  Blades cost half as much as the big guys.  For years, it was on-line sales only.  The stuff is now for sale in Target.  Harry's is a big advertiser on Tony Kornheiser's podcast.  I was walking through Target recently and I decided to give them another try.

I e-mailed the company, asking how many shaves I can expect from each blade.  The response was six to eight.  Considering the price, it's reasonable.  The company was right.  They start to dull up real bad after six.  I unwisely stretched it out to ten, and that was a mistake.  I didn't get nicked but you can really feel the pull.

You can get a lot more shaves out of a Shick or Gillette cartridge, but you will also pay a lot more.  When it comes right down to it, the price per shave is really about the same.

Does It Really Work?  A qualified "thumbs up."