Saturday, March 4, 2017

Andy's Angles: Storm Damage

On weekends, I produce and anchor the morning editions of Newswatch 16.  The rest of the time, I'm out there to get a first hand look at what's going on.  I like the variety.  My Monday assignment was disturbing and fascinating at the same time.

Several reporters were fanned out to report on the recovery from the Saturday afternoon tornado.  It tore a 13 mile path through Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties.  30 structures were damaged or destroyed.  It could have been worse.  The tornado did not hit densely populated areas.

The National Weather Service estimates the tornado downed 1,000 trees.  After being out for several hours Monday, that number seems low.  This was the scene near Lake Scranton, where the tornado finally lifted and then disappeared.
The first photo was on the lake side of Route 307.    The second is a view of the opposite side of the road.  The photos don't do the scene justice.  Trees-- big trees ripped out of the ground.  Others splintered and broken.

I've seen tornadoes before.  I can do without seeing another.