Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Tornado

Tornadoes have always frightened me, even though they are very rare here in our area.

The reason is simple.  There is nothing you can do about them.  Yes, you can shelter in a basement to save yourself.  That's it.  That's the list.

You can't save your property.  You can't protect your property.  You cannot predict when and where they will strike.  Yes, you can see some likelihood for formation.  Other than that, it's just luck, or the lack of it.

I really don't know how people in Tornado Alley, and other tornado prone areas do it.

I've been in the very flat Columbus, Ohio during a severe thunderstorm outbreak.  Believe me, mid westerners take these things very seriously.

I got an up close look at Luzerne and Lackawanna County tornado damage the other day.  It was terrifying.  My heart goes out to those who had homes damaged or destroyed.  It's a miracle no one was killed.

I was fortunate.  My neighborhood just got some wind, a lot of rain, and some small hail.  It could have been worse-- a lot worse.

My camera was with me as I toured the storm damaged areas.  I'll share some photos this weekend.

Stay safe.