Monday, May 8, 2017

Media Monday

Joe and Mika of MSNBC morning show fame are engaged.  I've tried to watch.  The broadcast was never able to hook me.

ESPN recently laid off 100 people, and I really feel sorry for them.  Been there.  I am admittedly an outsider, but it seems the network didn't expand wisely.  The market has changed, and some good employees have to pay the price.  I sense a lack of direction.  SportsCenter shows are too personality oriented, and some are simply unwatchable.

Speaking of ESPN, the last episode of the Sunday morning "The Sports Reporters" aired yesterday.  Mixed feelings.  With all the ESPN channels and resources, you would think there is room for a show like that.  On the other hand, I stopped watching long ago because some regulars talked way too much.

A local radio station now proudly touts that it's all music overnights, no talk from a disc jockey, or whatever they're called these days.  I get what they're trying to do, but it still makes me sad.

Stephen Colbert's vulgar rant the other night was embarrassing.

The story of Jimmy Kimmel and his son was heartbreaking.  I'm sorry he turned the whole thing political.

The Big Bang Theory is experiencing some audience erosion.  It's a moot point because the series has been renewed for another two years.  It's become just another bickering couples "comedy.'"

FOX has signed former NFL QB Jay Cutler for its number two broadcast team.  CBS has rookie Tony Romo slated for its top team.  Whatever happened to rookie announcers starting at the bottom and working their way up?

I'm not a "Star Wars" fan, so I was thrilled when May 4 became May 5.

I've been watching old Drew Carey shows and Night Court episodes on a channel recently added to my cable line up.  It was nice to be reminded of how funny they were.