Friday, May 19, 2017

Satellites


I'll blog about it one of these days, but I've been in a rental car for the past week in a half.

It's a much smaller vehicle than I'm used to, but it's nice-- a peppy little thing.  Even though it's a temporary step down for me, the rental has one big thing going for it:  satellite radio.

If you read this blog on a regular basis, you know I'm always whining about the lack of live and local, and a good deal of the local (not all of it) leaves a lot to be desired.

I had a satellite radio at home for several years.  I loved it, until Sirius/XM started dropping some of the talk stations I liked.  I found I could get the same stuff through an internet radio, and it was for free.

So, after a few years, what are my impressions of satellite radio?  It hasn't changed much.  Most of my time was spent on the 70's channel.  The music is fantastic.  I heard some songs I hadn't heard in eons.  There is sort of a disc jockey, doing breakers between music sets.  It still has a super canned feel and wasn't very topical at all.  The jingles were cool, an attempt to recreate the 70's radio song.

So, did the satellite bug bite?  Will I reactivate my home unit?  No.  The internet radio is great, and I really suggest you look in to getting one.  Amazon's Echo does the same things, and I love that too.

Will there be a satellite radio in my next car?  Possibly.  Depends on the price.  I don't have far to drive to work or my recreational activities.  I can live without it.

Still, it was an enjoyable and interesting week.