Monday, May 1, 2017

Year 6

My bike came out of the shop just before I went on vacation.  It was nothing major-- a check up, lubrication, adjustment...

Last week's vacation gave me the opportunity to try it out, the start of my sixth season on two wheels.

To get you up to speed, I bought a bike toward the tail end of summer 2012.  I've found that early morning rides suit me best, and as long as it's over 50 degrees, you can see me pedaling through a few small towns in my neck of the woods.

Standard practice, even though I go to a gym year round, is to start off easy.  I skipped that this year and plunged into my normal route.  It was surprisingly easy.  I did do something wrong.  It was chilly and I over dressed.  By the end of the ride, I overheated badly.

Some observations...

My ride cemented my feeling on LED street lights.  They might save energy, but the old style does a better job of lighting the road.  I should add that my bike does have a light and I do wear a reflective vest.

Some towns have done a great job of sweeping up curbside winter gravel.  Others, not so much.

The potholes that were there when I stopped riding in late October are still there, and they've made some new friends.

Companies that print political yard signs have to be making a fortune this primary season.

It's still a big kick to see a shooting star.

So, bike season has arrived for me.  I'll alternate bike and gym mornings through summer and in to the fall.  See you on the road.