Thursday, June 8, 2017

Unfinished Thursday

REVISITING EARLIER TOPICS, AND SOME NEW ONES...


I've been doing this a long time, and it continually amazes me at how many times government bodies feel it's okay to keep you out of its business.  The latest case is the Scranton Sewer Authorities.  It appears if the authority spent a ton on legal fees.  Look, I have no problem with making money-- as long as it's done ethically and honestly.  If all is above board, open the books and do it now.  So far, efforts to get the state's auditor general involved have been rebuffed.  Now, Scranton council wants the attorney general to step in.  There's nothing to indicate crimes have been committed, so I'm not sure if Harrisburg will take a look.   Scranton taxpayers have been put through the wringer in recent years.  They deserve to know what's going on.

Cellular phones have been around for decades.  I remember my first-- bolted in to my news car at WARM radio.  It was cutting edge at the time, and it really helped us put news on the air faster.  Smaller units were just coming in as I was exiting.  I could imagine what we could have done with those.  Anyway, it still irritates me to no end to watch people talk and drive at the same time.  On top of that, it's downright dangerous.  Stop it.  Stop it now.

Testimony in the Jessie Con-ui murder trial has been nothing short of tragic, sad, and disgusting.  On day one, as expected, we learned the defense wouldn't fight the conviction, but it would oppose, strongly, the death penalty.  As I noted on my Facebook page, it was shades of Eric Frein.

The trees around Courthouse Square in downtown Scranton have grown up nicely, and they have really helped soften the harshness of all that granite and concrete.  As hard as I've tried, I still can't warm up to that big wall that does nothing for the square.

Newspaper headline this week:  "Popular Restaurant Closes."  Newsflash:  the body of the story had a line from the owner, saying his customer base has dwindled.  That doesn't sound like a popular restaurant to me.

Tuesday was the D Day anniversary, and I say it every year.  Why isn't the D Day anniversary a bigger deal in this country?

I find the priest in Luzerne County, who allegedly misappropriated $130,000 one of the most fascinating stories to come down the pike in a long time.