Thursday, September 21, 2017

Pleasant Surprise

I landed a fun assignment Tuesday morning-- preview the Triple A Championship Game at Lackawanna County Stadium.  Yes, I know it has a "paid for" name.

Photographer Jason and I pulled in at 4:00 AM.  The overnight clean up crew was on duty.  They had no problem with out presence.  The lights were on.  So were the sprinklers.

I was back for another report at noon, and for the first time, I had the time and the opportunity to wander up to the club level.  Impressive.  In fact, the stadium appears to be holding up well.  It's clean and well maintained.  From what I understand, the finances are being to hit that danger zone, putting it out of reach of some families.  That's another story for another time.

I'll level with you.  I didn't expect much of a crowd for the game Tuesday night, and that's where the "Pleasant Surprise" title for today's blog entry comes in.  9000+ to watch the Durham Bulls defeat the Memphis Redbirds for the AAA championship.  They did it right-- especially the Fan Fest before the game.

It tickles me to see our area support big events, and that means more down the road.

Enjoy the off season.  Baseball's back in April.