Thursday, November 30, 2017

Burger Blues

Even though I write about the fast food industry quite a bit, I really don't visit all that often.  Still, the business fascinates me.

Several McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger Kings have been renovated in the last few years.  The look is more boxy, more contemporary, more restaurant like, less clown like.

The common thread, at least where I live, is the removal of those sunroom type add ons.  Really!?!?  I loved those.  Maybe they were maintenance headaches.  Maybe they cost too much to cool and heat, 
but I really liked having my burger and fries in the flood of daylight.  They even had charm at night.

I'm happy to say the fast food joints started eliminating those kiddie play lands long ago.  Who thought that was a good idea?  I guess it looked good on paper until the insurance liability people got involved.

I've read that society is changing.  An increasing amount of business comes from the drive through.  The buildings don't need to be as large.  They just have to be efficient to keep people from waiting in line.

The current trend seems to be ordering through touch screens.  Most of the new mini marts already have it.  I've used of dozens of times, and it works great.  I have yet to experiment in a fast food restaurant.  I'd have to see people lose jobs over this, but if it improves speed and efficiency, it's tough to put up an argument.

The bottom line is I don't choose a fast food restaurant for the architecture.  It's all about the location, and what I'm in the mood for.

Hold the mayonnaise.