Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Election Day

It's finally here.  It's Election Day!

I'm looking for the standard procedure today.

My day starts with an unhealthy fast food breakfast.  I'll get to the office early for one last look at some preview stories I've been working on.  It's out to a polling place to be live on Newswatch 16 This Morning beginning at 4:30 AM.  The polls open at 7:00 AM, and that's when I'll start working on an issues, trends, and turnout piece for Newswatch 16 at Noon.

I'll vote on the way home, take a mega nap, and be up in the evening to watch my friends and colleagues at WNEP  report on the winners.  Note, I try to avoid the word "loser."  Someone brave enough to make a run at an elected office is never a loser.

Look for updates in this space throughout the day, and some analysis tomorrow morning.

Please, get out and vote.

>>>12:30 AM UPDATE:  Before my Election Day narrative really gets cranked up, I have to note the passing of Norm Hill.  He and I worked together at WARM 590 in the late 80's and early 90's.  Norm stayed for a few years after I left.  He could do it all-- DJ, news, traffic...  He knew his stuff and had one of the best radio voices I ever heard.  More importantly, he was simply a very nice man.  My friend, WBT 1110's John Hancock informed me Norm died back on October 29.  He was 69.  My sympathy to his family and friends.

This Lackawanna County reassessment referendum is turning in to a nightmare.  To make a long story short, a panel of Lackawanna County judges knocked it out because of unclear wording.  It was appealed to Commonwealth Court, a body that rarely overturns decisions like this.  Just about everyone involved believed there would be a ruling Monday.  It never happened. It will be interesting to see what happens at the polls.

It's off to work!

>>>2:45 AM UPDATE:  It was the standard election morning ritual on the way to work-- a spicy chicken sandwich from what could be the worst fast food outlet in the country.  The chain is great.  This particular store is awful, but it's open 24 hours, so it gets my business.  The fries were outstanding.  Staying with our election day theme, it appears the chicken sandwich was cooked during the Eisenhower administration.

When I hit the office, it was time to re-tweak some scripts and add some late information.  It wasn't extensive.  When I'm writing these things, I design them to be adaptable to whatever happens, right up until the moment the polls open.

I have that Election Day feeling.  It's a sense of anticipation, a sense of wonder, a sense of change.  It's not quite as extensive as it was for last year's election, but it's still there.  The people we elect today will have a big impact on your life, and it's a shame more people don't get out and vote.

I just caucused with morning producer Kim and morning photographer Jason.  We're all on the same page.  It'll soon be time to hit the road for Newswatch 16 This Morning.
>>>4:30 AM UPDATE:  We picked Isaac Trip Elementary in Scranton for our morning live shot location.  It's a first for us, and we like to show all parts of our area some love.  Plus, it's nicely lit and you can actually see something behind me.  A long day is just beginning.


>>>11:00 AM UPDATE:  Sorry.  I've been away from the keyboard for a while.  Here's some of what we learned.  Scranton turnout is solid.  I talked with both mayoral candidates and some random voters.  People are really engaged with this election.  I just finished writing a story for Newswatch 16 at Noon.  Photographer Lou is editing, and we'll be live at a polling place in an hour.  See you then.

>>>2:00 PM UPDATE:  The noon broadcast was fine.  We got some good information out there, and I'm sure the viewers learned something new.  It's tough to think about the election when you have a Pennsylvania State Trooper shot.  After the broadcast, it was a few errands-- including a supermarket run, voting, and a hair cut.  I finally have a few minutes to sit down and do a little writing.  I was voter 99 in my precinct a little before 1 this afternoon.  Disappointing, but I can understand it.  Most of the local races were decided in the primary.

It's time to unwind for a bit, take a nap, and watch the returns come in tonight.  I have some thoughts on what might happen.  We'll see if I was right.  Look for the information in tomorrow's blog entry.

Have a good afternoon and evening.  Thanks to all the people at various polling places I encountered today.  You provided valuable information.

Watch the team tonight, and witness democracy in action.