Tuesday, November 14, 2017

End of Season

I knew the day was coming and I finally did it the other day.  I put my bike away for the winter.

To get you up to speed, I ride at night.  Yes, I'm as safe as I can be.  My bike has lights and reflectors.  I wear a reflector vest, like the one road crews use.  In fact, I think I'm safer during my pre dawn rides because the streets are just about empty.

50 degrees is my cut off point.  If it gets colder than that, the amount of clothing necessary kills some of my fun.  I love those humid summer nights, when I can ride in shorts and tee shirt.  Sweats aren't that bad when there's a slight chill in the air.

After looking at this week's forecast and the long range outlook for next week, it appears my 50 degree mornings are over, so it's time to mothball the bike.  Just a couple of years ago, I had the bike out until the week before Christmas and I loved it.  Riding past decorated and lit homes on a silent night is one of life's great delights.

If the spring is normal, I'll be pedaling away in mid April.  Until them, I'll have to live with the bikes at the gym, but at least I can watch TV at the same time.