Monday, November 13, 2017

FadWatch

What's the deal with charcoal?  It seems like there's an ad for some charcoal related product on television every five minutes-- peels, cleansers, deodorant, tooth powder...

Cooking charcoal has been around for centuries and centuries.  It's a great filter, and it's long been known as a remedy for intestinal distress.

To me, charcoal always meant burgers and dogs on a little grill on the back porch.  I don't know if it's still around, but my favorite product was charcoal that came in bags that looked like cellophane.  You lit the bag, and the flames spread to the briquettes.  Easy.  On the other hand, Lord knows what chemicals you were burning in to your meat.  Bottom line.  It smelled and tasted great.  Nothing like it.  A fire company a few blocks away from me has chicken barbecues a few times a year.  The aroma permeates the town.  Love it.

Now, charcoal is moving up the charts as a health and beauty aid.

I'm not disputing the product's effectiveness, but the red flag goes up when you see it all over the place.

I'll have to admit, it looks tempting.  I've been doing TV for a long time, and anything that does a great job in removing make up gets my attention.  I'll have to ask around the office to see if anyone has experiences with it.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking and waiting to see what's next to come down the 'pike.