Thursday, December 7, 2017

New, Old Times

The call went out a couple of months ago.  Doc Medek's Froggy 101's co-host, Jessie was going out on maternity leave, and he was looking for TV people to rotate in until her return.

I vacillated.  I left full time radio in 1991.  I did a little morning news fill in work on the now defunct Solid Gold 94 in the months that followed.  It had been a long time since I had done radio.  While I was getting a tour of the new Wilkes University radio and TV building, my new friend, Kristen Rock, suggested I give it a shot, so I threw my name in the hat.

Jessie had her baby, so it was time for Doc's plan.  I volunteered, and yesterday was my day.  I did not promote the appearance in case I bombed.  I could quietly sneak away and never speak of the incident again.

I didn't think I was great.  I wasn't awful either.  It's tough to work with a new partner and Doc made it easy.  We had met, only very briefly a couple of times before, but we know the same people and had the same experiences.  We're about the same age.  I may look older, but Doc has a couple of years on me.

He was warned going in that I know nothing about country music.  We kicked around a couple of topics before we started, so we were in my comfort zone.  The two hours passed like two minutes and I had a wonderful time.

As you can see from the photo, I shaved on a day off-- which is unusual for me.  I should have combed my hair.

TV treats me great and I am very happy there, and if you are a regular reader, you know that radio is my first love.  It was great fun to re-live some of  the old days.  Jessie still has a lot of maternity leave left, and I volunteered to come back, if needed and wanted.

Even if Doc doesn't take me up on the offer, it was enormously entertaining to be back..