Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Business News

No matter what they call it, that big plant on the hill in Olyphant that makes cd's and dvd's will always be known to mid valley natives as "Specialty Records."

It's known as Technicolor now, and the people that own it are cutting 160 people from the payroll and it looks like the operation will close.  4,000 people used to work there.

It wasn't that long ago...  If you landed a job at Specialty or RCA in the near by Keystone Industrial Park, you were set for life.  The gravy train with biscuit wheels.  RCA is long gone.  Specialty is on the way out.

My little town had three dress factories.  It was hard work, and I marveled at the efforts of all those women behind all those sewing machines.

I know times change, but it's sad.

Now, we puff our chests with pride and glee when we learn our area is getting a new warehouse.  Let me tell you a little about warehouses.  They eat up big hunks of land and employ relatively few people.  Automation.

We used to make televisions and records.  Now, we're happy when someone comes along to hire people to stuff dog biscuits and kitty litter in to boxes.

Don't get me wrong.  Any job is a good job, and it's no fun when you don't have one.  I know.  Believe me.

I just miss the days when we made things, and it hurts when I see good, hard working people get the rug pulled out from beneath them.