Monday, January 15, 2018

Gym Rats

I don't know what happened this year.

Right after the new year begins, the gym is filled with newbies-- people who are resolving to take off some weight and get in shape.

I will preface this by saying I visit the gym in "off peak" hours, but I didn't see the newbie influx this year.

At first, I thought it was the brutally cold weather.  The new year came in on an icy note.  It would have been very easy to put off those gym visits and wait until it gets a little warmer.

The warm weather came.  The newbies didn't.

I wish I had a reason.  My gym chain held a promotion to get new visitors.  The ads were everywhere.

Cold and flu season keeping people home?

Did Santa bring a lot of home exercise equipment?

Unfortunately, many of the newbies disappear after several weeks.  That makes me sad.

I'll give you my usual speech.  Start slow.  Have realistic expectations.  You're not going to get in shape overnight.  Take a friend.  Even if you don't burn that many calories, at least you're doing something and it all helps in the long run.