Friday, March 16, 2018

Farewell

By now, you've heard the news.  Toys R Us is closing nearly 800 stores.  It's over.

I have no reason to buy toys, and I haven't been in a Toys R Us store in many years.  I think I made a total of three visits since the chain appeared here in our area.  I can't tell you if it was good or bad, but I've done some reading.

It seems like a case of too much debt, not enough sales, and bad decisions by management.  Someone else is doing it better.  In this case, it's Walmart and Amazon.

When I was growing up, Toys means The Globe in Scranton, Sears, Sugerman's and Mermelsteins.  As I grew a little older, I loved exploring a mall store called "Kids."  It had a great hobby and craft section.  My the time Kay Bee came in, I was out of the toy stage.

I do have to note something else.  An overnight network news anchor had a great deal of fun yesterday morning, wondering if Toys R Us mascot Geoffrey Giraffe was going to fit into an unemployment office.  What an insensitive idiot!  31,000 people are losing their jobs, and he tries to be funny.