Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I Told You So

The New York Post reported last week that retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre auditioned for a role on ESPN's Monday Night Football, and he flubbed it.

That makes me happy!

It's not because I don't like Brett Favre.  I do.  Really.  He is one of the game's all time greats.

Let me give you the reason for my glee.  It proves this radio and TV stuff isn't as easy as it looks.  That's it.

We are in your homes every day and night.  It's a privilege and I don't take it lightly.  There always has been a fair amount of critiquing and second guessing.  I'm not complaining.  That comes along with the job.  It got kicked up a notch with the recent rush of "fake news."

Favre's flub shows a lot.  for every Tony Romo, who appears to be a natural and talented broadcaster, the road is littered with the bodies of those who have tried and failed.  

Let me tell you a story from "back in the day."  When I was at WARM in the 80's, the legendary Ron Allen did an afternoon sports call in show.  When Ron was on his game, there was none better.  He cooked up a gimmick, where he would invite some of the regular callers in to the studio to co host.  I won't mention his name, and I still remember it, but one of the first was this loud mouthed, know it all kid.  He was a great caller-- entertaining and knowledgeable.  Yes, he could be obnoxious, but the kid knew his sports.  He took a taxi to the station in Avoca.  We sat him down in the chair next to Ron.  I kid you not, the kid shook with fear.  And by the way, when I say "kid," I mean mid or late 20's.  It was awful radio.  I gave the kid a ride home to Scranton.  He was exceptionally nice and polite.  Smart.  Great on the phone.  Froze behind the mic.

Just remember, talking is a great way to make a living, and I still love it.  But, it's not as easy as it looks.