Sunday, May 20, 2018

Andy's Angles: My Least Favorite

This is supposed to be a celebration month, so I'm not going super negative on Marywood's new library.  It's only about two years old.  Long story short:  it's the wrong building in the wrong location, and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the campus.
This is a picture of the back side of the library.  The old library, which really needed to be replaced, was on the right.  One of my original criticisms was the new library sliced the campus in half.  The Great Wall of Marywood.  I suspected the "slice" effect would be lessened when the old library was torn down.

I was wrong.

Marywood needed a new library, and I'm sure there's  a "wow" factor when prospective students get a look, inside and out.   I realize what they were trying to do here.  Nudge the culture.  Go fresh and modern.  Show Marywood is a school of the future.  Totally understood.  Architecture is extremely subjective.  Traditionalists still have some issues, but that's all past tense.  The front photo was taken in May of last year.