Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Attacked!

I was attacked Sunday morning.  I didn't see it coming.  I didn't hear it coming.  I didn't feel it during the attack, and it happened in my own newsroom.

The assailant?  A mosquito.  The remedy was almost as bad as the attack.

I was minding my own business and putting the finishing touches on Newswatch 16 Sunday Morning when I felt a bit of pain.  A mosquito got me, not once, but four times.  Two bites were on the back of my neck.  One on the chin.  One in the sideburn area.

Ouch!

So, what do do?

I was developing some swollen bumps.  Rubbing alcohol didn't help.  It was time for serious stuff-- an antihistamine.

It relieved some of the pain, and the swelling subsided.

As you probably know, antihistamines have side effects-- namely, dry mouth and drowsiness.  Both can be troublesome for a news anchor.

I kept a giant cup of iced tea under the anchor desk.  Sips of diet cola helped during the breaks.  I made it through the four hour broadcast.  It wasn't easy.

Mosquitoes are one of the worst parts of summer.