Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Just Because

I really don't pay attention to those "National ______ Day" things.  In fact, I find them exceptionally tedious.

Last week was some day noting the accomplishments of journalists.  I'm not sure if it was a conicidence, but a friend asked me if going to work is still fun.  After all, I have been doing this for a while.  The answer was "yes."

There are frustrations-- like technology and the business side of things.  I occasionally run out of things to say about snow.  The foundation, show and tell, remains the same.  It's really a rush to learn about things first, take a breath, and decide how to tell the world about it.  Choose the words, the pictures, the emotions...

Sometimes, I'm jotting notes on a legal pad out in the field.  There are other times when I have the luxury of sitting at a keyboard to tap it out.  As noted here earlier, there is still self doubt and I think it will remain.  At times. I wonder if I can do a story justice, if I can match the words and the pictures to make it work.  I will admit to worrying for nothing.  When a story flows, when a story really works, you know it-- and it still feels good, even after decades on the job.