Thursday, May 10, 2018

Sinclair



No, not THAT one!


Once upon a time, when I was a wee lad, my uncle Tom owned a gas station.  He sold Sinclair branded gasoline.  Green is my favorite color.  The Sinclair mascot was a brontosaurus.  It adds up to the fact that I loved my rare visits to the gas station.  First of all, I really liked my uncle Tom.  Plus, there was an old time soda machine and a snack machine.  I had no interest in being a mechanic, but I did enjoy having a candy bar or cheese and crackers, a cold soda, and watching him work.

Eventually, Sinclair and that cool dinosaur gave way to BP.  You know how the corporate world is.  I grew older and had a new set of concerns.  The visits to uncle Tom's gas station because even more rare, and I was sorry about that.

While pondering this blog entry, I did a little research.  I was tickled to learn that Sinclair gas exits.  There are still stations out west, and they even sell tee shirts via mail order.  I'll be ordering a couple.

A few years ago, I was in one of those big box hobby stores.  They had metal signs that were replicas of old ads.  You know, beer companies, soft drinks, and gas stations.  There was a Sinclair in the stack.  Reasonably priced.  I didn't buy it.  Regret.  I don't get to that store often.  To be honest, I don't know why I was there in the first place.  I'm not a hobbyist, crafter, or decorator.  I think I was just killing time, and the store was new to the area.  On my next visit, Sinclair and the rest were gone.

Don't ask me what triggered it, but I recently thought about uncle Tom and Sinclair.  I went on line and found the signs.  They were cheap.  I bought two round ones, about the size of a small pizza pan.  They arrived this week.  One is on my wall at home.  I might display the other in a different area.  I'm sure it will be a conversation starter.

Uncle Tom left us many years ago.  The gas station is still there.  The gas days are over.  It's just a garage now.

There is a round piece of thin green and white metal on my wall now, and a fierce dinosaur gives me a great deal of comfort.