Tuesday, June 26, 2018

21.51

I did it!

It's been a while since I've prattled on about my bike riding, so I was due.

To get you up to speed, pardon the pun, I gifted myself with a GPS watch for Christmas.  I started tracking my bike rides since my biking season began in April.  I've been going a little longer each week, shooting for the goal of 20 miles.

When I started biking again in 2012, I just made a loops around my little town.  My route grew to three towns, and now five.

Last week, I hit my goal of 20 miles.  In fact, I put a little icing on the cake, and traveled 21.51 miles.


So what's next?  25?  Joining Snedeker?  No.

For me, biking long distances is like hot peppers on the pizza, like hot sauce on the burrito.  A little is fun.  Too much hurts.  I'll likely back off a little bit, maybe to something in the mid and upper teens.  It's enough for a good workout, a good sweat, without being sore for days.

As I looked down at my watch after the record setting ride, I thought of that first afternoon with my new bike.  I pedaled a few blocks, came home, and threw up.  I guarantee you, the celebratory diet cola stayed down after that 21.51 mile ride.