Friday, June 29, 2018

Options

I've discussed my late, great former radio coworker Guy Randall here before.  I don't know what was going on inside, but Guy had one of the coolest exteriors ever.  Guy and I would have discussions in the old WARM newsroom.  I'd be fretting about some personal or professional issue.  Guy would always have the same response:  "What are your options?"  That one, simple question never failed to put things in focus and encouraged some perspective.

I thought of Guy while reading the latest from the Scranton School District.  25 teachers lost their jobs because of budget problems.  Another 15 positions, open because of retirements and resignations, will not be filled.  Parents are angry, and I get that.

But, what are your options?

Raise taxes?  Property owners are already maxed out.

You can't continue running in the red.

It seems the district is one step away from a state take over.  Most familiar with the process feel that would mean higher taxes and even more layoffs.

Has anyone really come up with a viable solution to the school district's money problems?  I haven't seen it.  How do you keep everyone working, teach the kids, and balance the budget?  Yes, past school directors messed up-- big time.  Someone has to pay the piper.

I hate to see teachers lose their jobs.  Our educational system is troubled as it currently stands.  Losing professionals will make it even worse.

But, let's start thinking about real ways to fix this.

What are your options?