Thursday, July 19, 2018

I'm Tired of It

A new study came out.  Vitamin pills, tablets, capsules, etc. really don't do anything for you.

A former doctor, who passed away several years ago, once told me to take a daily multi and advised to buy the cheapest one, because they were all the same.  This is the same doctor, who I really liked, that diagnosed me with a severe vitamin D deficiency.  I was on prescription supplements for a while, and I eventually stopped taking them.

I should add that a recent check up gave me a clean bill of health.  Results of my blood work showed everything is generally where it is supposed to be.

I do pop a zinc once in a while.  Read up on it.  It's supposed to do a lot of good, and I haven't used a sick day in nearly two years.  I do a Berocca most mornings.  It's a fizzy tablet you drop in to water.  Vitamins, minerals, and some caffeine.  It's a nice little pick me up.  I don't drink coffee.

I do carry around those little 5 Hour Energy bottles, but those are for special occasions.

I guess the key to it all is to eat a balanced diet, but seriously, who has the time for that?  I assume I'm not alone because of the way the vitamin supplement industry has taken off in recent decades.

Maybe, one of these days, the science and nutrition people will get it right.  Take eggs, for example.  At one time, they were great for you, then they were poison.  Now, it's something in the middle.  The great Julia Child had it right.  She preached the philosophy of "everything in moderation."

I hope science will come up with a vitamin supplement that actually works.  But, really, why bother?  Americans are already gladly spelling billions on things that are just a waste of money.